Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for May, 2014

Radu Tut did a wonderful blog about how to get Search Analytics Reports programmatically in SharePoint 2013. I am quite grateful for his guidance and it’s undoubtedly the most referenced article on the topic (even being referenced in Microsoft blogs and other documentation).

I followed Radu’s guidance and have successfully retrieved usage data from my site collections in 2013, but I’ve discovered a few things I’ve not seen anyone talking about:

  1. It is important to note that the DateTime value you use should be UTC. If not, you will, at some time during the day–depending on your offset–get a “Specified argument was out of the range of valid values” error when trying to get the furthest back data (example: -14 days for Day) if you use Local time. Internally, SharePoint uses DateTime.UtcNow.Date (see reflection of Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Analytics.AnalyticsItemData in the Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Applications.dll).
  2. To my surprise, I was able to retrieve usage data from a 2010 site collection in SP2013! Apparently, SharePoint is tracking and compiling this data, but the 2010 UI has no way to interface with the data. Thus, if you need usage data for a 2010 UI site collection in SharePoint 2013, turn to your Devs or PowerShell-savvy Admins: If your site is being crawled, the 2013 usage data you seek is in there!
  3. The time period for SP2013 to compile usage data is fairly lengthy (at least 15 minutes in my tiny dev farm). If you attempt to retrieve the data while SharePoint is compiling it, you’ll get back a big fat ‘0’. For expected results, make sure you’re not retrieving the data while SharePoint is compiling it. 🙂 I believe this compilation is done by a timer job once a day at midnight, by default (I was up pretty late working on my project when I discovered this behavior).

Happy reporting!

Read Full Post »